August 16, 1915
Strausstown Volunteer Fire Company was organized. A motion was made to purchase St. Paul Lutheran Church property along Walnut Street to be used as a fire hall.
December 15, 1915
Fire company was officially incorporated.
April 10, 1917
1917 Howe-Ford (in service 1917 - ?) purchased for $1800.00 from the Howe Fire Apparatus Co., Anderson Indiana. The unit was equipped with a 250 GPM Buckeye Triplex Piston Pump, a 35 gallon chemical tank, and approximately 300 (?) of hose. It is unknown what happened to this apparatus after it left the Fire Company.
Fire Company credited with saving the Rehrersburg Lutheran Church. Received $100 donation for extinguishing the blaze.
Additional property is purchased from Sarah Keener to permit extension to the fire hall.
Construction of a 16' x 52' single bay engine house along the south property line is completed.
August 19, 1927
The Fire Company purchased a 1927 International Harvester (open cab) (in service 1927-1949) for $5041.00. It had a 350 GPM rotary gear pump. In 1942 the chemical tanks were removed and replaced with 150 gallon booster tank.
Ladies Auxiliary is organized.
The driveshaft on the 1927 International breaks on the way to a fire and the engine was deemed beyond repair. A 1929 Ford pumper was loaned from the Keystone Fire Company, Rehrersburg.
The Fire Company purchases a 1950 Chevrolet chassis for $1,700 from Himmelberger's Garage in Strausstown and it is sent to Peter Pirsch & Sons Co. in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The unit is equipped with a body, 500 gpm Hale centrifugal pump, and 350 gallon tank for $5300.00. (in service 1950-1999)
May 13, 1964
A 1964 Chevrolet 1-ton panel truck was purchased from Himmelberger's Garage, Strausstown, PA for $2443.00 as an equipment carrier. (in service 1964-1994)
May 8, 1966
A junior brigade was formed for applicants between the ages of 16-21.
The single bay, 832 sq. ft. engine house was razed and a 40' x 50', 3 bay engine house is constructed.
September 6, 1975
A 1975 GMC chassis is purchaed from Cressona Truck Sales for $13,400.00. The chassis is sent to Hahn Motors in Hamburg, PA. It is equipped with body, 750 gpm Hale pump, and a 750 gallon water tank for $28,137.00. (in service 1975-2005)
April 26, 1980
The Fire Company determines that a tanker is needed and for $9500.00 purchases a 1969 International Loadstar Elmer Snyder, a milk hauler from St. Lawrence, PA. It had a 2700 gallon tank, and was equipped with a 350 gpm pump by the fire company. (in service 1980-1997)
April 13, 1994
The Fire Company places in service a new equipment truck to replace the 1964 panel van. The 1991 Chevrolet step-van was purchased from Quigley Chevrolet, Bally PA for $16000.00, and the fire company members contributed the time and materials to outfit the unit. It carries a 6500 Watt generator, 6000 psi cascade system, along with numerous rescue, hand tools, and safety equipment items. (in service 1994- 2018)
The 1964 Chevrolet Panel truck is sold to Doug Bellchamber, Ontario, Canada for $1,000.
The 1968 International Loadstar tank truck is sold to Michael Comisoc, Tamaqua, PA (tree farm) for $2,000.
December 10, 1997
The Fire Company decides to replace the old milk truck tanker with a 1979 International/4 Guys 2000 gallon tanker, 500 gpm pump, purchased for $40,000.00 from the Intercourse Fire Company in Lancaster County, PA. (in service 1997-2010)
The 1950 Chevrolet/Pirsch in service since 1950 is sold to a private collector, Ronald Massey for $1500.00.
July 26, 2002
The Fire Company, through a cooperative agreement with the PA Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources, receives a 1971 Jeep "Duece-and-a-Half" 6X6. The unit is outfitted for approximately $2000 with a 600 gallon tank and 120 gpm pump. (in service 2002-2017)
July 9, 2003
The Fire Company, again through the PA DCNR, receives a 1953 Fruehauf water trailer. (in service 2003-present)
July 16, 2004
The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced that the Strausstown Vol. Fire Co. #1 received a $202,500 grant through the Assistance to Firefighters program for the purchase of a new fire engine.
Chief Barry Bentz and others bring home the first NEW fire engine in 30 years. The 2005 Spartan/New Lexington (Rockwood, PA) is equipped with a 1500 gpm pump, 1000 gallon tank, 30 gallon Class B foam tank, and many other features. The engine with equipment cost over $300,000. (in service 2005-present)
The 1975 GMC/Hahn pumper is sold to Patrick Shea, a local chicken farmer.
The Fire Company purchases a 1990 Pierce Lance pumper/tanker from the West Earl Fire Co., Lancaster County. The truck has some minor upgrades and is placed in service at a cost of $100,000. (in service 2010-2018)
The Fire Company, again through a cooperative agreement with the PA Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources, receives a 1986 Chevrolet military 5/4 ton pick-up. The unit is outfitted for approximately $2500 with a 275 gallon tank and 120 gpm pump. (in service 2010-present)
January 14, 2011
The 1979 International/4Guys tanker is sold to the New Lancaster Valley Fire Co., Mifflin County, for $4,000.
August 4, 2012
The Strausstown Volunteer Fire Company moves into our new fire house at 50 East Ave. The property was purchased April 12, 2011 and ground broke for the new station February 12, 2012. The new station is 6,000 square feet w/ 5 apparatus bays.
June 13, 2015
The Fire Company celebrates its 100th Anniversary with a carnival, parade and fireworks.
May 21, 2017
The Fire Company places a 1991 military 5 ton into service as the new Brush50. The truck is equipped with 275gpm/200psi pump and 870 gallon tank. (in service 2017-present
The 1971 deuce is taken out of service and returned to PA DCNR.
April 25, 2018
The 1991 Chevrolet Step-Van is taken out of service and sold to the Mt. Pleasant Fire Company for $7,500.
September 22, 2018
The 1990 Pierce pumper/tanker is taken out of service and sold to the DMW Volunteer Fire Department in Gaffney, SC for $50,000